Thursday, April 8, 2010

Potty Training Stubborn Boys 101

So I had about a week and a half until Zach turned 3. I have tried to potty train him before. He has gone potty on the toilet and even pooped on the toilet, but he REFUSED to do it consistently. I am a stubborn person. My son is almost MORE stubborn than me. Yah. That's bad. Anyway, one day it came to me that any time he has done something he is wary at first, doesn't want to do it. Sometimes we make him try he LOVES IT! Like 4 wheeling. He was so scared, but then when he finally got on, he didn't want to get off. So I applied that to potty training. I knew he knew how to potty and he was ready, just needed a little help/force getting there. He was "showing signs," so I swooped him up, stripped him down, and put him on the toilet while he yelled and screamed. Not very fun at all. But I thought, if this works, awesome. 1 down, 2 in diapers to go. If not, he'll recover and he'll love me in a few minutes again anyway. So I just REFUSED to put a diaper back on him. He chased me around the house, wanting a diaper so bad. He even got one out, laid down on the change mat and yelled for me over and over. Finally, he just figured out a way to be able to play. He just opened his diaper and sat on it! SO FUNNY!! So later, I got out his little potty chair, put it in front of the TV, gave him a big cup of juice (which he CHUGS like crazy because he never really gets juice) and turned on a show. Now, the waiting game...like magic, the potty came out! He was SO proud! And so was I. I won! :) He has had a few accidents, but is doing SOOO good and stays dry through naps and even through the night most of the time. We still do a diaper then though, just in case. So through shear compulsion, treats, and a chart, we've done it! Or at least we're on our way.

MAGIC!!!!!
YAYAYAYYYAAAAAY Zach!!! Good job buddy boy!

3 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

hahahh way to go zach. love the pic of him sitting on his diaper. that's hilarious

Jordana said...

Good job Zachy!! That is so funny that he just sat on his diaper! Potty training really isn't very fun, especially when they're so stubborn! Jayna can hold her pee for a ridiculously long time and did just that while we were potty training her, crazy girl. But now it really comes in handy! I can't believe I'm already going to have to start thinking about it for Kepler in a few months.

Lant Family said...

way to go! I seriously think potty training is one of the hardest things to do as a parent. And they are all so different! Good job!!