Thursday, June 14, 2012

Justin's Birthday!

Justin turned 29 on May 31! Happy Birthday Just! The last year of your 20s...
Being that I just had a baby and have been pretty much ignoring him while he tirelessly serves me and the kids I felt like I needed to do something for him, something like I used to do B.C. (before children...). I was going to decorate his doorway like I do the kids, but didn't want to take all 4 to go get streamers (...should have just used toilet paper. Dang. Too late. Next year.) So I got some of his favorite gummy candies and tried to hang them from the doorway, but they were too heavy, so a decorated bathroom it was!!! :) As I was doing this and he was sleeping, I was wondering, "who am I doing this for?" Is it for Justin or for me. Would he be just as happy if I handed him a few bags of candy in the morning and said Happy Birthday? Probably! But would I? Nope. This is way more fulfilling to me. I feel like some effort went into it and effort+lack of sleep+ baby waking me up again hours after I finished this=true love, right?? Justin would probably say = craziness, give me the bags and sleep! I still don't think I could do it though. Hmmm. Interesting.


I used the kids' bath crayons and jazzed up the tub. :)

...and mirrors.
I also got up and made him breakfast, which wasn't really done by the time he had to leave. I tried so hard! Baby decided she needed to eat right when I was at the beginning of making it and the other kids needed something too. So I nursed while I cracked eggs 1 handed. Yep. Determined aka stubborn. It's a blessing and a curse. :) And he lovingly stayed and waited until the last minute, shoving hot food down. Luckily he wasn't even late. I hate when things don't go as I planned.
 I also made him this DELICIOUS strawberry filled cake!

These kids love their daddy.

I am telling you this cake is DELICIOUS!! Someone even told me it was one of the best cakes he had ever had. It was my brother's wedding cake recipe. A beefed up cake mix really, filled with strawberries and cream cheese... So moist, dense, and delicious. I have the recipe if anyone wants it...
I don't blame him for drooling. :) It might not be so pretty, because i actually made the filling to juicy so it wouldn't hold up the 4 layers of dense cake, but a few skewers in there for support saved the day.

Finger-lickin' good.


You want some, huh?
 Justin left after dinner and cake to his brother's graduation. Dallin graduated and was Valedictorian! Had to give the speech and all. Justin just went to see if his speech was better than Dallin's. :) I sat with this girl for A LONG TIME. All she had to do was swallow the bite she took. She is also determined/stubborn. Wonder where she gets that from?she once had broccoli soup in her mouth for about a half hour. She had her last bite at home, and then we had to go to the church for an event that night. She STILL hadn't swallowed!!! By the time I let her spit it out her mouth was just full of saliva and tiny broccoli pieces. Yuck.
Oh, the pain! Ha ha! I MAKE you eat delicious fajitas. Horrible mother. I finally let her spit it out. I couldn't deny her the world's most delicious cake. It was a party.

7 comments:

Kamry Low said...

hahaha oh kate makes me laugh. At least you stick with it, i'm way to soft!

i loved all the decorations you did for justin. i bet he did appreciate them. how can y0ou not look at those and think man my wifes awesome!

Unknown said...

I love the way you decorated the bathroom! I would have loved that! And Kate with that last bite in her mouth is hilarious! You are such a good mom and wife!

Jenny Fitzner said...

hahahahaha!!! That's hilarious! She's such a cutie. It would've been so hard not to laugh!! and I LOVE the bathroom idea. I think I might copy that for fathers day! You're so awesome.

Ashley said...

I know there are so many different opinions about making kids eat food...my Cade is such a picky eater. I will totally make him eat things, bribe him, withhold dessert...you name it. I'm glad I'm not the only one=)

Maren said...

Amelia, you are an awesome wife! I don't know where you found the energy to decorate the bathroom that way, but that was really sweet. All I would be thinking is, "Man, I just have to clean this up tomorrow." Haha! Anywho, getting my kids to eat their dinner is the story of my life. Noah is THEEEEE worst. He will sit at the table for over an hour sometimes. Blaaaaah! And it's always the meals that I spend more time MAKING that he spends the most time EATING. Why do kids do that to us? We slave away in the kitchen so they can complain about not wanting to eat it. Sigh.... well, I'm glad his bday was a hit.

heather said...

Um yes! Can I have that cake recipe?! Sounds delish!! heatherachristensen@gmail.com
Love all the birthday decor!! :)

BUB said...

Oh the stubborn cruelty! You won't let her spit it out and she refuses to swallow. HA! A battle of who can be more stubborn - I can't believe you let her win. ;)

I've been noticing the cute father's day gifts/crafts on pinterest and there is NO WAY I will do anything like that for Dan because, well, he is a guy and could care less. He only wants one thing and we all know what that is.

Next time hand him the bags of candy. Just kidding. I'm sure he felt special because they were hanging from the shower.

Haha! I find this post so amusing.

And you can go ahead and post that cake recipe. Yum! Love me some strawberries and cream cheese!