The day after Seven peaks we were wiped. I woke up and my eyes were SO PUFFY. Like swollen. I don't know if it was the heat or what, but it wasn't too pretty, so I thought I'd try the cucumber trick and Kate ran to Justin and asked for 2 cucs too so she could be like mommy. Didn't work to well, but sure felt good! And good work Justin for snapping a picture without me even asking! I am the camera happy one in this family...almost to a fault!
Anyway, we thought what better thing to do when you are wiped than to hike with the kids to the Y in the middle of the day?! So fun! The Olsingch and Hopoate families were going, so we joined right in.
Mom and Dad stayed behind and watched Adaleigh and Cannon for us, but the rest trudged their way all the way up!
I knew it was going to be a LONG hike when I had complaints before even got to the first switchback. There are 10 switchbacks to the bottom of the Y... 12 to the top. Zach was tired at first, but that boy has such a competitive spirit that he wouldn't be anything but first up. It was so funny watching him, SO tired, but almost running up the hill to catch his cousins that had gone ahead. Now we just have to find a way to make that driven spirit work for his good. :) We stopped pretty often to rest in whatever shade we could find. The worst part was when we got to the point that we had a great view of the awesome water park we were at the day before. All of the kids wished we were there again! Not hiking up some dry, dusty, hot mountain. I did too!
Like I said, Zach did awesome. Kate and Kara did good, but complained a lot more and needed to be carried sometimes. Near the end Kara and I did a 10 second walk. We would count to ten while walking then I would hold her under her arms and count to 10 as I carried her, then she'd walk again for 10. Kept her mind off of complaining and gave me my sanity not hearing that little whiney voice the whole time!
Katie, Carrie, and I took the littles to the bottom of the mountain. Justin and Harvey trekked to the top with some of the older ones. And Zach of course. ;) Can't be beat!
Hot and sweaty, but we made it!! Good work kiddos. Way to build some character!
Way at the top are Justin and Zachary making their way down to the bottom of the Y to join us. The Y is made of painted cement. Once you get up there it is scary with kids I think. So it is a steep hike with a scary destination. I am such a worry wart though, I just didn't want anyone to get hurt! "Don't tell me worrying doesn't do any good, the things I worry about never happen!" :) No body got hurt! See!
On the way down, a shady rock cove. Ahhh...
Here is my adorable touristy sister Carrie in mom's hat and her adorable girl Malia again. :) We should have brought a fanny pack too Care. :)
And Kara. Oh Kara. I was her descent partner. Man was she whiney. You can't blame her though. I mean she could have been a little less vocal, but they had played hard in the sun all day the day before, and then did the same the next morning. Her legs were tired! They were working like crazy! The whole down..."Mom, I don't yike walking...I HATE walking... whine whine whine cry whine..." My mom had promised the kids smoothies at the end. I reminded Kara of that and she almost lit up. Often as she whined about how hard it was I would say "remember the smoothies, remember the smoothies!" It became our mantra. She repeated it over and over. Then at the end, still whining and crying, but then she saw her cousin about to get through the trail head gate before her and she knew she couldn't be beat. Those exhausted little legs started sprinting! So competitive, my kids! Yikes.
"Remember the smoothies!!!!" :)
It worked! And they were delicious. So worth it, eh Kara?
Look at my hot, sweaty, tired hiker! They did so good. Glad we did it. Glad it's over. :)
The Crew enjoying Mer Mer's smoothies!
And after smoothies, we heard some cousins were going to the infamous BYU Creamery, so we joined in! Smoothies and ice cream for lunch! And their delicious fries. Yum yum. Gotta replace those calories we burned you know! Here are Kate and Kaela celebrating their pink ice cream, called Sparkle! It tasted like pop.
Justin ordered their ice creams and didn't see that there was a child's cone size for the kidlets. So they had these whoppers! That is a HUGE ice cream cone!
Orange sherbet.
Sparkle.
And mint chip. Mustache and all.
After the creamery we all went to the kids favorite place to be...Katie's house!!! My kids loved playing there with cousins and dolls and the Wii. Addie loved the attention from cousins too! She loves any attention and is seriously the smiliest baby in the universe. Love love love her.
There's one for you too. ;)
Justin holding his not-so-twins. :) What a day!
4 comments:
I LOVE Kate and Kara's exhausted little faces after the hike!! Lol. YOu have so much more patience than me...give me some please!
Would you believe Ryan and I have NEVER hiked the Y!? It's like we're not true cougars. Seriously hoping we can do it in August. But we say that every year...
That mint chocolate chip ice cream looks way too good. I'm going to have to drive to Utah and get me some! Addie has the cutest smile! What a sweetie!
Oh my goodness this made me so tired just reading it! We went to Utah a few weeks ago and were planning to hike the Y but we didn't. We just ran out of time, plus I figured 6 months pregnant carrying a 1 year old would not be the time to try it. But now I feel like a wimp seeing your little girls did it!! Way to go!
Post a Comment