Friday, September 7, 2012

Olds, AB Part 1...Our home for 2 months!

So, SAD DAY. My camera was stolen at the pool in Olds, AB. We went there for family swim time and while in there a lady walked in holding my purse and keys. She said the purse was found in the garbage can and the keys in the toilet. Eeew. I looked through and my phone and other things were still in there. I had a thought to leave my wallet at home (thank you spiritual prompting) as I wouldn't need it because Justin was with us. Luckily he put his wallet in the bottom of the towel bag, so they didn't get his wallet. I just figured everything was in it. After a few days I realized I hadn't seen my camera for a few days. I searched the house up and down and didn't find anything. :( It was in my purse. The sad thing is, it could have just been in the trash by the purse and I didn't see it because I didn't take my purse out of the garbage or think to look in it for anything else since I thought I had everything. I wish I would have just taken my purse in. I took my diaper pouch in with me. I should have just brought in the whole thing. Boo. So now we didn't have a camera and to make it worse the last pictures I took on the camera were my 'Before' pictures for a baby weight loss challenge I took with my sister. AH!! So if anyone sees any before pictures of my on the internet, tell me so I can track down the jerk that stole my camera. Grrr. Oh, well. I could still take the 'before' picture now as I have had pretty much no progress! Date is up October 16...5 more weeks to go. I got this.
Anyway, on my camera were also pictures of Canada Day, July 4th, and Gull Lake. Canada Day we went to Raymond and watched the parade with Great Grandma Low. She better come with us next year again because I had some cute pictures with her and the kiddos at the parade! Afterward we went to the Dahl Reunion and ate, visited, and did the famous colored rock hunt that you trade in for candy. So fun. I didn't make a Canada Day cake, but we did have the missionary and some friends over for dinner and I had cut up pineapple and watermelon so I shaped our fruit salad like a Canadian Flag. A yellow and reddish pinky one at least. :)
Fourth of July was nothing special. I love the USA and miss celebrating this holiday to its fullest. I did make a beautiful Angel food cake decorated with blueberries and strawberries though. Flag cake in a new form. Gotta keep that tradition going.
And the last pictureless description is that of Gull Lake! The first weekend we went to Olds we met Maren at Gull Lake. That link takes you to her blog, since I haven't gotten the pictures from her yet. we had a great time there. It was such a great beach day. I love taking the kids to a 'beach.' I was happy to see that there are some lakes that have acceptable beaches. Makes my life staying here in Canada a bit more bearable! :) I miss the beach, but some of these lakes will just have to suffice! Anyway, Maren was in Lacombe, which is about an hour from Olds, so we met up and played. I miss my Edmonton friends!!! Now she moved to Ontario. Right before she moved, Barb and Sarah came down and Jordana and I went up for one last hang out to say goodbye to Maren ! It was so good to see all of those girls again. It had almost been a year since I saw some of them. Justin always asks what we do at those things. Just talk really...and yes, for like 4 or 5 hours! Easy. Miss you girls!
 
The ABSOLUTE BEST thing about Justin getting his 2 month rural family medicine rotation in Olds is that my wonderful friend Jordana just moved there in June!!! Our timing was a bit off as we both went on vacations at different times, but when she was there it was awesome! Especially since Olds seemed to be one of the stormiest places I've been in in Alberta. Everyday it seemed a storm ran through. Great, but not when you are in the upstairs of a rental house with hard floors and 3 stircrazy kids and a baby you can't really put on the ground. We loved going to play with Jayna and Kepler. The choice activity was to ride bikes. And yes, it was here that Zach completed a rite of passage...no more training wheels!!!!!!!!! He has been asking me to take them off, and I finally did one day. It was automatic. I helped him stabilize, let go, and off he went. That easy! Now he zzzzoooms around like crazy. Luckily, there was a park 2 blocks from our house with a path that circled around it.


 

 
 
 
 Good work Zachy boy!








The one and only perk about the rental we stayed in was the well endowed raspberry bush in the back! And luckily we were there for raspberry season! No one was picking them, so I sent the kids out rasberry picking. They loved it! It was a great activity when I wasn't ready to go somewhere yet, but they wanted to go outside. And we loved the fresh raspberries.



















Want some? They were pretty cute and would pick berries for the neighbors downstairs and next door.















 
One night Justin had off we went to the movie theater and payed a lot of money to sit an in old rundown theater and watch Ice Age 4. It was in 3D (dislike). We've been to one 3D movie before...Tangled. I never wanted to do another 3D because the kids never really keep the glasses on. It bugs me because I know they are just watching a blurry movie. Not worth it!! But we didn't have much of a choice because it was the only theater with the only time showing that day. They did have one non-3D show the next week sometime. Anyway, Kara kept hers on pretty good, but Kate always pulled them down and looked over the top.



Here is the other thing about Olds...it rains and storms. A lot. And OFTEN! It felt like everyday there was a storm. And if it was raining during the day there was NOTHING to do. We tried the library one rainy day with Jordana and her kids. They were about to kick us out I am sure! Poor kids were so tired of being cooped up. Rec center...indoor playground? Something.
Anyway, Justin took these pictures with his iPhone while walking to his car after work one day. INSANE amounts of water! Luckily his car was on high ground.

 


North of Innisfail there is a cute U-pick place called "The Jungle Farm." I wanted to do the U-pick thing last year and went too late, so I was determined to do it this time. We picked strawberries. It went by pretty quick and was pretty expensive, but the kids had fun. They had a fun boat playset and go cart tricycle things they liked to play on too.




Cute place. They do a lot in the fall too. I'd love to go then, but I don't think we will be coming back up.



A hot night in Olds. When did my baby get so big?? Love squeezing those thighs.
And the only picture of best day in Olds. MY BIRTHDAY!!!! The big 28. Under that beautiful wrapping/tablecloth was my new camera!! A real one. A nice one. I am a bit overwhelmed with it and have a lot to learn, but love the quality pictures it takes!! Thanks hon! Happy birthday to me. We should have put a candle on it.
 

1 comment:

BUB said...

Yeah for the new camera!! And just in time too. I hate thieves - so annoying.

Isn't it so fun to watch you kid ride a two wheeler? It is like watching them experience freedom and flying for the first time.

P.S. I haven't a clue what those letters are below that I have to type in.