Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Van-Cougar!

Van-Cougar! As Kate would say it. :) Justin had a Family Medicine Conference in Vancouver to get some of his continuing education credits and I got to go! Not to the conference (well, I did sit in on the last 10 minutes of his "It's not an Ingrown Toenail, it's Overgrown Toe Skin" conference. And yes, it did make me wish I went to a few more!! Anyway, Rob and Cammie are living in Cardston so we hired them stay at our place and watch the kiddos. It was so weird the first day to be away from kids, but once I got used to it (and the weather got less rainy so I could actually get out of the hotel room...) it was awesome!

Here was our view! We were in Downtown Vancouver. It was SO BUSY! Especially for us country folk. ;) Seriously though...people everywhere...cars everywhere...pedestrians, lights...so many office buildings. SO many offices. So many workers. What are they all doing?! That building with the grass on the top was the Convention Centre Justin's conference was at.




Can you tell what hotel we stayed at! Bro. Marriott's. ;) So cool.

Look at all the beautiful colors! Vancouver was so cool, because it was like our marriage...wintery mountains meets ocean. So unique. :)


We came a day before the conference so we could do a bit of sight seeing. Luckily, the rain pretty much stayed away for the day. First we went to Grouse Mountain. This is what we rode up the mountain on.


We watched videos up there and saw the two bears they rescued as cubs. And it was SO COLD! Wet cold is a lot different than dry cold we have in So Alb.

They are huge and scary now and gave me goose bumps. Luckily they were about to go hibernate. They were moving so slow. And I was glad for that. I never want to be close enough to see those huge claws again.

When we went up we went above the foggy, cold clouds. Here we are descending back down .

My handsome date. :) It really is so good to get away once in a while.

Vancougar!

We also went to the Vancouver Aquarium, which was in itself really cool. BUT, I am from Southern California. Sorry. I am hard to impress ... you can't top Sea World. :) We took pictures for the kiddos and kinda wished they were there the whole time! Until it was time to go on our long walk and out to dinner that is. :)

Purple Sea Stars?! 

Delicious jellyfish.

The underside of a sea turtle. How often do you see that?

Nemo and Dory!   

And my favorite...the beluga whales!!! We went to Sea World in February and the exhibit was closed. I was so bummed! Justin said they remind them of himself...because they are pasty white, have great muscular definition, and always smiling! I think he is spot on.


The cool thing about this place is that the belugas did tricks! I've never seen that before!
 
 
 
 
 

So cool. I love them. Two weeks after we got home I saw a video about how there protesters outside the Vancouver Aquarium for allowing a yoga class to go on next to the beluga whale exhibit. They called it an oxymoron because "Yoga is about liberation and freedom." Poor belugas. Nah. They were smiling. 

Look at that definition. ;)

And look. We found Adelie!
 
 

And we were fortunate enough to be there for the two minutes, one time a month, that they feed the bullfrogs baby mice! Oh yeah! It was actually really interesting to watch. They looked just like the little newborn hamsters I found in our hamster cage when I was 5 and I thought they were bugs.
 
 

This bird was getting flustered by us. :)

A Sloth.

We watched them throw whole chickens in to feed these guys. Dead, defeathered ones, but it was crazy to watch them chomp and swallow them.

We thought Zach would LOVE this big fish! Wow.


The Aquarium was in the middle of Stanley Park, so after we were done at the aquarium we walked around this gorgeous, humongous  park. And the trees were beautiful! The leaves were so red!


We started walking the sea wall around Stanley Park and found this cool tree. Thought the kids would love it. ;)




GORGEOUS!

Don't you want to walk there?

This is for my Dad...Stanley Gordon Crippen. :) We had walked A LONG way (like 8 kms?!) and got a little lost, didn't have a map, it was getting dark, and Justin's phone battery was dying, hence we had no more gps to find our car in Stanley Park and then to get us home through all of those crazy city streets...but we found a sign that I had been looking for! And luckily later on were able to find our way back to the aquarium where our car was parked so we could go home, get warm, and eat. 

And eat we did! This was delicious! Justin's cousin told us about this delicious Korean BBQ. Shabusen or something. It was so fun, so delicious, and pretty good priced! And yes, we smelled like BBQ smoke afterward.

Ha ha! Justin HAD to eat with chopsticks. He really doesn't like doing that, but there were no forks. No options! He did well. :) 

And I got to eat all of the pistachio ice cream at the end!!!
(What movie?)

The next day was super rainy and I was missing my kids and any purpose in life. I am pretty sure I have seasonal affective disorder. I need sunshine. I was raised on it for 20 years!

Then the next day the sun came out...well, it wasn't raining at least, so I walked from our hotel to Stanley Park to finish the part of the loop we missed.

And then went to lunch with Justin and got a Beavertail. Yum. Good thing I work off so many calories that morning. ;)


Cool lego-y killer whale statue.

Another cool thing about Vancouver...SEAPLANES! This reminds me of my brother Cody and his love of the Sea Duck from the cartoon Talespin. Remember that Codes? THAT was a good show. And a cool toy you had.

Last day there...me at the Olympic Torch?! It was actually a picture of me and Justin...but the lady we asked to take the picture and said she got the picture didn't get the picture. That's what we get for asking an older lady to take a picture for us. I am so used to taking the pictures...not being in them!

There. Got one awkward bad angled one. :) Just to prove we were both there...together.

Had a few last minute things to do before we flew out the next day...we had to have fish and chips. You're on the coast, you gotta do it! The best place to go was about 30 minutes away. Why not! We had nothing else to do. What a good feeling! :) And it was worth the drive.

Then we went to Granville Island...the coolest marketplace/shop area. We got the kids some little souvenirs (phone almost died again and we were scared we wouldn't be able to make it home!) and went to dinner and to an 8:30 movie!!! I don't remember the last time we ever did that! We saw "Gravity." It was intense and really only should be watched on a big screen. Anyway, while we were waiting I saw this snowman guy the kids love so I took a picture for them. They would have loved him too...he even shook his hips.

The next day was Sunday and we were flying out at noon. We found a building to go to church at and got there 15 minutes early...and it was Stake Conference. At another building. An hour later. Ugh! Well, we tried. There were a few other visitors that came to the building and found the same thing we did. So we went to the airport and waited there for an extra hour and a half. Oh well.


And this is what we came home to. Wee. I HATE WINTER ROADS. Luckily this was just the last 30 minutes.
 
 THIS is what we were very happy to come home to!!! And they even missed us and loved their Whirly Pops and Vancouver key chains. :)
It was so fun to come home to these guys. And Addie was so funny. When we came home we looked through the windows by our door and everyone came running. They were just sitting down to dinner (which luckily Robbie and Cammie had made so we were eased back in to real life. We didn't have to make our own food, but we did have to dish ourselves up. That was hard.) Cammie brought Addie to me, and she came willingly, but she was being really quiet and wouldn't look at me in the eyes very often. "You are back...but you LEFT me!" That's what she was saying in her looks. :)
picture texted to us by Cammie while we were on our trip. That spaghetti sauce really brings out her blue eyes. :)
Earlier in the week we had tried Facetiming them. THAT did not go so well. I think we really confused Addie. So we didn't call back until we could be there in the flesh.

7 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

HOW FUN!!! All the gorgeous colors there make me want to go just to do photos haha! Isn't it amazing the amount of things you can do in a short time WITHOUT kids? But we still wish they were there. Looks like a great trip. Sorry you had to come back to the barren wasteland. YUCK. I hate winter! No, I just hate the COLD

Kamry Low said...

fun! I really want to go on vacation with you guys. and Jason of course! you look great!

Kamry Low said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kamry Low said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kamry Low said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BUB said...

I love walking that sea wall. I too got lost in Stanley Park, but I was alone. It was exciting and scary.

I too fine the lack of sunshine oppressive. It feels like evening all day long. I just feel tired and sad and gloomy there even I really like the city.

Maren said...

Yes, the lack of sun is the reason I will never move to Vancouver, no matter how beautiful it is! Honestly, this is just making me want to go on a trip sans kids with Joe so bad! I can't remember the last time we did that. It's def been a while. We are hoping to visit Joe's mission (Washington DC) while we are still out West but we shall see how that all comes together! So glad you had a get-away! Sounds like you filled your days and nights with lots of fun things to do!