Monday, January 10, 2011

Pottytraining Plea

Please, somebody tell me how do you potty train Twins? Twins who may seem too young to get it, but who are smart enough and old enough to take off their pants and diapers at nap times and get whatever is in there all over their crib and hands? Twins that will copy each other in whatever the other is doing? What if one goes and gets rewarded, and the other one can't, but really wants th reward too? What about when they poop before the nap and then you put them to bed happy that they've already pooped, only to find them 1 hr later trying to take off their own poopy underwear and take care of it? Twins who really don't like to be in diapers, but who may not catch their urge to go soon enough before there is another accident. Twins who really need a nap, but when they get one they wet and/or soil their pants. Twins that are trying to nap and then when one is almost sleeping the other one (who hasn't pooped yet) is still up chatting and yells to you that she has to go potty so you freak out, run up there quietly grab her and take her to the bathroom when the other realizes her sister is gone, wakes up, cries and says she has to go poopoo too so you take her but neither of them go? Do you put diapers on them at nap times after having a totally successful morning? Do you fore go the naps and have 3 kids 3 and under up all day with you being cranky because they are tired?...(this thought makes me almost cry!) Do you wait until they both poop before nap time? What if they never poop and are really cranky?

I feel STUCK!!! I have to potty train them because they strip all of the time and I am sick of cleaning up those messes, but I am also sick of cleaning up potty training messes and still wonder if they are old enough. They are quite successful when I am right there by them, prompting them to go. And often they even go on their own. Kara is actually really starting to get it. Until nap time. They are tired, so they need a nap, but they don't nap because they are chatting with each other, playing, until one of them starts to ignore the other and fall asleep. They can climb out of portacribs or I could separate them. When they are alone in their room who knows what they are doing and when I find out I am not usually happy...but I want/need that 2 hrs alone for sanity! Or just 1. I'll take 1 hour.


12 comments:

Kamry Low said...

I have no experience in this and do not have twins so really take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

If they're getting it maybe not stop training. Have you thought about setting up a pack and play in your room and having them nap separate? I know they're twins and they've never been apart but i think that might work. Keep a diaper on for naps. Maybe one is the instigator and with them being separate the diapers might stay on.

Keep to onl giving rewards to the one or listens (keeps on the diaper while sleeping and goes on the potty).

Hmm and if you want to go the other way and yuo want to hold off for a few months, just some pretty good time outs for taking off the diaper.

Also if yuo don't want any of this advice then disregard it. Just think maybe in short while you're no one in diapers.

J Cromar said...

i feel your pain by half...it has been exasperating to try and potty train my little girl. i hope you keep posting what you're trying that works so i can glean from your experience too!

i can not get Emily to tell me when she needs to go but she will go when i take her to the potty. i keep her in a diaper at nap time because i too am unwilling to give up my quiet time! I don't know if that's the right thing to do either!

BUB said...

Separate them for nap time. And I learned with Whitney that they can seem like they are "getting it" for a long time and never actually get until a lot later.

I once asked a mother of 10 children what the secret is and she said there is NO secret that all children are different and you just have to wait until they are really "ready". (Whenever that is and how you can really tell, I have no idea.)

Amber said...

I have no ideas but I just wanted to sympathize with you. It sounds crazy! Keep it up and good luck!

AJ said...

Maybe try pull-ups for nap time so its not a total step back.
And good luck. I hate those kinds of messes too.
And if it is just too much, TAKE A BREAK. When they are this young it can't ruin things too badly.

Hannah Stevenson said...

Launi Leavitt sent me over to read this to see if I'd have any suggestions for you. Before I say anything I want to make sure I say that every kid is SO different and so if this doesn't apply to you or your cute girls (and they are VERY cute), just disregard it!:)

I have three under three...two of which are twins who are just now "ready" (they are almost three). I tried twice before because they were showing signs of readiness and had the same kind of experiences you are having...NOT FUN! I wish I could jump through the screen and give you a long hug and let you sob all of your potty training woes on my shoulder! We decided to wait until they were almost three (and after Christmas traveling) to really try for the last time and I can't tell you what a difference it has been this time...A BREEZE! They just get it at this age! I think they understand rewards so much better (and they each have different "currency" that really motivates them which I couldn't have known a year ago) and just have the cognitive capabilities they need to do what needs to be done. It was such a nightmare trying to keep up with the messes times two and looking back pretty much impossible to do a good job of it.

Also, I started separating them at nap time and doing "quiet time". One is in my bed and the other in their room and they both play and then sleep...it has seriously saved my sanity. I started doing pull ups during this time but they are a reward if they stay dry all morning (those things are expensive but they both LOVE wearing the "princess diapers") we also do pull ups at night for the time being, again they are a reward if they stay dry all day...I'm planning on phasing these out within the next few weeks but it is working for us now.

OK this is getting long! I hope something I wrote here helped you. You can email me with any questions (it's linked to my screen name) or if you just need to vent! :)

Hang in there...and know that someone in Utah is thinking of you and feels your pain! :)

Alysha Sladek said...

looks like you've got some great advice. my kids have all been different and i'm holding off on will (even thought he's 2 1/2). he might say he has to go, but it's just a game.
i say duct tape the diaper on, and put them for naps in separate rooms. i'm actually tempted to split my girls into different rooms. they do nothing but talk all night long!
anyhoo, good luck with it all!!!!

Maren B said...

Since you mentioned you can't separate them because you can't get them to stay in a portacrib, it sounds like it might be worth investing in a crib tent or even buying a cheap old extra crib for another room just for naptimes. You could probably find one for free on Freecycle, the free section of Craigslist, or the website you use. From the sounds of it, the separation is going to be necessary for both their learning and a successful naptime.

Katie said...

Oh Aimers... sorry girly. I like all the advice I heard. I separate my girls if I want sleep to happen. Pull-ups for naps, and going out of the house. Don't let them know what irks you... they may try to get that reaction more often. Having twins can work in your favor with positive peer pressure being key. I think my other kids potty-trained easier because their sisters were there as examples. If one is showing more ability stick with it strong with her... They may not be ready at the same time. You can do it!!!!!

Tarilyn said...

We have an extra crib that you could use for the time being! It's in excellent shape, too. Tay and Beth were using it and now it's just sitting in the garage waiting for some kid to chew it up... Let me know!

Julie said...

Yikes! I have no experience, and therefore, will forebear commenting on that. I'm just grateful to everyone who's contributed. I'll look back on it when it's my turn to potty train :) Good luck!!

Rob and Marseille said...

put one of their cribs (or an extra crib from your friend) in your room or zach's room just for nap time! I've heard parents of twins focus on one twin (the one that seems to be getting it) and the other twin later. could you do one treat for everyone (even zach & you(like 1 m&M/smartie) when someone goes and 2 treats for the one that goes? or would they say 'thats not fair!' ? i think small treats all around are ok.