Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bama's Birthday!

It was Grandma Low's birthday! To celebrate us kids planned a dinner get together. I was in charge of the cake and so we found out her favorite childhood cake and attempted to bake it.
I tried to make Zach take a nap at Grandma's house. This is the fruits of my labor. He walked down the stairs like this. It really threw me off!
He's lucky he made me laugh. I wasn't very thrilled that he didn't sleep, but this was too awesome not to laugh at. We don't make him take naps anymore...except on Sundays, the day of rest.
DELICIOUS Dinner! We had Queen Cynthia dish up, sit on her throne, and eat FIRST. She NEVER does this. She is usually waiting until everyone is settled and then finally dishes up. We had Jason's BBQ steaks, sauteed mushrooms, Kamry's twice baked potatoes, and salad.
Remember when I said I attempted to bake the cake? Yep. Attempted was the right word. Talia doesn't look too impressed. It came out SO short and compact! It was tiny! Tinier than even this picture lets on. The mistake...I didn't really clue into the phrase DOUBLE ACTING before the baking powder. Whoops. It was very dense cake. People were nice and still ate some. Brian saw it and went and got a DQ ice cream cake. Thank goodness Cardston has a DQ! I consider myself a pretty good baker. This was a little embarrassing, but I made another one before Echo to redeem myself. With TWICE the amount of baking powder. :) Better!
Sparkler candles!
Happy Birthday Bama!!! We love you and are really excited to live closer. The kids LOVE going to grandma's house more often. The question is...does she love it?!! :)

5 comments:

Jenny Fitzner said...

fun times! and good job making an attempt. That's why when I'm making something for the first time I like to do a trial run first! ...unless it's on my own family, then I don't care. Glad you're having fun times!!

Alysha Sladek said...

so fun!! it's great to be closer to family. the dinner sounds fabulous! totally my kind of meal!

Maren said...

I love family get togethers. How dare you screw up her birthday that way?!! Don't worry, I once spilled a fruit platter tray all over the kitchen. Ya know. The $30 dollar kind. And they tried to secretly go out and replace it without me realizing. Well, I figured it out and felt so dumb. So embarrassing. But not as embarrassing as screwing up a cake. Haha! JK. Just don't be offended when they don't ask you to do the cake again. Hahahahahaha! (I'm so mean, ...but I hope you're laughing).

Kamry Low said...

i'll always remember zach coming down with his shirt on like that! what a funny guy! i liked your cake!

Unknown said...

Haha! I was there when Maren spilled the tray! Glad it wasn't me! That pic of Zac in the shirt is hilarious!