Friday, September 23, 2011

Crafty Crafts

Over the last 3 months of living in Lethbridge I've done a few crafts I thought I'd share...


This one was one I've been meaning to do since January! I bought the styrofoam balls when I bought all of the other materials to do my wreaths. The flower balls were made with small styrofoam and the bean ones were large and small. The site I got it off of said you could spray paint the beans any color for cool texture. I might spray it ivory, just so you don't see the styrofoam underneath but that's if I get ambitious. Now it matches/ties in...

...this wreath and...

...this one! Yay for coordination. And for purple. I am liking purple lately. Must be in because both of my soon to be sister in laws chose it for their wedding colors! Purdy.

Here is the next project. I've been looking for an oval, detailed mirror for our room for a while and found one on kijiji for $5. The only problem is this thing is HEAVY! Must be old! Once I took the mirror out it wasn't heavy at all though. I just don't know how I'll hang it yet. It is going to need more than just a nail, that's for sure!

Here is the process...

Primed, painted with ivory, and ready to glaze.

Glazed! This was harder than I thought! Well, not really, but I had a really hard time keeping the glaze in the little nooks and crannies. They were pretty shallow. I'd been planning a glazing project for a long time and wasn't really happy with how it turned out right away, but it is growing on me.

One spot where I liked how the glaze took.

I put a clear glossy topcoat on and like how it looks a bit better now. The pillow at the base of it is from my bedding that I am basing my room around. That with maybe yellow accents? Still in the deciding process. And if you look in the mirror you can see my 3rd and final crafty craft.
A Jewelry holder!
I've been trying to find a jewelry holder for a long time now, looking for something to better organize my stuff and make it more accessible. Well, I saw this lace on on pintrest and thought it would go perfectly in my room too, incorporating into the black and white theme.

I just got an old wood frame we had, inserted 5 hooks in the base, and sprayed it all black. Then I cut up a beautiful lace valance I found at Value Village and stapled it in the back on the outside edge all the way around and then again on the inner edge to make the lace nice and tight.

Here's where I become a genius. And modest one at that! :) I am a problem solver. I get it from my dad for sure. An anything is possible attitude. We can make it work! Anyway, I didn't want to have to take it down from a nail every night I put my earrings away. In fact I would probably just put them on the bathroom counter if I had to do that, thus defeating the purpose of a jewelry holder in the first place! So I thought hinges...That would work. I just needed a piece of wood drill some nail holes in it to hang it from, add some hinges to the wood and the back of the frame, and voila you've got yourself a perfect solution. Luckily I remembered I had an old mismatched red block (that I tried to get back to you several times Maren!) and found it right away when I went to the basement. Perfect size. And THAT is why I have a hard time getting rid of things, because often enough I find that I could have really used them later on. Anyway, like I said, genius. Thanks for the block Maren. You can have it back...whenever you come here to Lethbridge and get it!

Kinda just floats there by the wall.
Anyway, that's all for now. Now that I am on Pintrest I am sure I will have more fun ideas and plans!

6 comments:

The Olsingchs said...

Amers,
You are AWESOME!! I want to be like you someday

Alysha Sladek said...

Look at you go!! The glaze project looks awesome. What did you use as a clear top coat? Was it a spray paint or brush on paint? (fingers crossed for spray - I'm lazy! Haha)
And you're so clever to add the hinges. Love it!

BUB said...

Look at you problem solve! You are such a smarty pants, but I already knew that.

The McLane Blog Page: said...

wow!!! well done!

Dustin Family said...

You are so amazing and crafty and creative!! Cute kids, fun mountain climbing (I'm totally envious), and love the tea set my girls would TOTALLY die! :) LOVE YA DAWG!

Meghan said...

Loving the Crafts :)