Sunday, October 12, 2008

Harvest Time!!

It's harvest time here at Low Gardens! We finally finished picking everything out of our garden, and not a moment to soon because we hear snow is on the way!! AH! Anyway, we had a great time digging it all up and for the most part are extremely happy with how everything turned out. The corn could have used a bit more sun and heat than Edmonton has to offer, AND I think we picked it too late, AND probably burned it while blanching it, but OH WELL!!! This was a very fun experimenting year. It was fun to have a garden and watch things grow. I recommend it to everyone!
Our corn crop.
Zach taking a premature bite. I think he got the corn hair in his mouth in this picture. He did this to every shucked cob he got his hands on.

Zach shucking corn. So helpful!
Our corn harvest. Some were okay, but really, I think we let them grow too long. They were kind of chewy. Zach wouldn't even eat them! :) This definitely wasn't Taber Corn.
My hardworking men.
Justin showing Zach the ropes. He was so excited to FINALLY get to pull things out of the garden. We always said no before and kept him in the car. Now he was happy to help.
Triumphant Zach. He loved pulling them out and he was good at it! Hopefully next year he will be even more of a help.
The BIGGEST carrot we grew.
The most scandalous "spooning" carrot we grew! Woo woo!
The final harvest. All I see is A LOT of work ahead. Washing carrots is oh so much fun. They are SO yummy and sweet though. Come on by and get some!

Me discovering how potatoes grow. They just grow on the tip of the root, so you dig around the plant and pull it up. Some are still connected, and the others you fish for in the dirt. Pretty crazy. My next discovery will be to see how peanuts grow. I wonder if Edmonton is a good climate for that. Hmm...The proud Canadian Farmer, cowboy toque and all.
Zach HAD to wear his gloves. He was so cute there helping out. They didn't stay on well and he really got frustrated whenever they fell off.
Our big box of potatoes.

6 comments:

Lant Family said...

what a great garden--yep it looks like a lot of work. But you will love it.

Alicia said...

That's AWESOME.

Jackie said...

Wow, I wish I could show you my garden but Chad built the fence over a year ago and it is still full of dirt and weeds. I'm very jealous everytime you post pictures of your garden. It looks like you have plenty to eat!

Leslie said...

Wow! That looks yummy! Maybe you can teach me how to garden next year if we end up in Edmonton!!

Jolene said...

These pictures make me want to eat my vegetables! Do they taste better home-grown?? I bet they do? ...unless I grew them of course, I'm sure I would have done it all wrong :)

Rob and Marseille said...

wow...you guys got a ton of veggies!!!